Sedation Dentistry near Victoria
If the thought of visiting a dentist near you fills you with anxiety and dread, you aren’t alone. Many individuals suffer from a fear of the dentist and anxiety surrounding dental visits. At Esquimalt Dental, we don’t want our patients to let their fear prevent them from getting the dental treatments they need. We are happy to provide options for sedation dentistry near Victoria to help you remain content and calm during dental visits and allow you to get the dental care you need.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
Our team is happy to provide sedation dentistry in Esquimalt to make your dental visit as pleasant as possible. There are three main types of sedation dentistry:
- Nitrous oxide sedation- this is a mild form of sedation that is inhaled through a small mask placed over your nose. The sedative will cause you to remain conscious but relaxed throughout your procedure and will wear off quickly once the mask is removed.
- Oral sedation- this is a heavier form of sedation. When you opt for oral sedation, your dentist will prescribe you a sedative in pill form that you will be instructed to take about one hour before your appointment. The effects of this sedative will last a while, and you will need someone to take you to and from your dental appointment.
- Intravenous (IV) sedation- this form of sedation is the strongest of the three and is administered via a small needle inserted into your vein. This sedative will make you relaxed and sleepy, and you may even drift off into a light sleep during your procedure.
When you visit our team at Esquimalt Dental, our dentist will discuss your options for sedation dentistry and determine the best form for your specific needs.
Who is a Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
The main goal of sedation dentistry is to help anxious patients relax during their dental appointments. It can also be used to minimize pain and discomfort during long dental procedures. Individuals who experience the following may benefit from sedation dentistry:
- Anxiety and fear of the dentist
- Difficulty staying still for long periods of time
- Strong gag reflexes
- Facial or jaw soreness
At Esquimalt Dental, we are happy to provide sedation dentistry near you to make your dental visit as pleasant as possible. If you would like to learn more about sedation dentistry in Esquimalt, please do not hesitate to reach out to our dedicated dental team. We are happy to address any questions or concerns you may have.